I can't believe I'm going to India

So excited, so excited, so excited!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Goa Trance

Goa Trance is is a style of music that grew out of the infamous, days-long rave parties on the beaches of Goa. In my case, it just means that I can't think of anything other than our trip to Goa tomorrow. I am so excited. I can't wait to look at the Arabian sea and breathe in some fresh air. It looks like the the weather will be fine, so all I need to do is keep healthy.

Marcelo was tormented again last night by the giggly girls in the next room. Last night, they came in at 2AM, slept for a bit, and then started getting ready to go out again at 5:30AM. Marcelo no happy, but he doesn't want to complain because he says they are just having fun on their vacation (isn't he nice?). Only one more night.

This morning, we got on the elevator with two regular-sized men. Instead of going down, it started going up and we picked up another modestly-sized guy. By the time we got back to the third floor, the elevator wouldn't take any more people (message said that we as a group were 'overweight'). So, the third floor people took the stairs and we continued. On the second floor, a guy got on anyways and the elevator didn't insult us right away. When it finally did, I got off and told Marcelo I'd meet him in the lobby. I walked down to the first floor, but there was a sign saying please take the elevator to get to the lobby. On the first floor all the people from the third who had walked down were gathered. We all waited on the first to get on again, but every elevator was full (and 'overweight') by the time it got to us. So, we had to try to catch it going up, get in, and stake a claim so that we could get back down. It probably took 15-20 minutes total to get to the lobby. I think they should just pry open the windows and let us jump. For many reasons. One more night. (Again, Santosh, I'm just cranky. We're fine. Honestly.)

My breakfast is gradually getting more interesting. I went for the methi paratha, veggie cutlet, and onion uttapam this morning in addition to my wimpy banana pancakes (light as air today) and pineapple. Marcelo is right back in the game using Indian condiments and sauces.

After speaking with Sonia yesterday, we found out it will be Pradeep who will take us to the airport tomorrow and pick us up in Mumbai on the trip back (strangely, there are flights from Pune to Goa, but no flights from Goa back to Pune, so we have to fly to Mumbai and drive). I feel so much better knowing Pradeep will be driving us rather than a stranger. It's like having my dad come pick us up. Arriving at the airport in Mumbai won't be nearly as scary as when we first arrived.

On the ride here, we saw a truck full to overflowing with already-inflated balloons. It looked so adorable. We were saying in the car that Pune (nevermind New York City) is actually the city that never sleeps. I think North Americans use that expression to say that the stores and restaurants are open all night, but they don't mean that people are out and doing stuff all the time. Here, it literally does not matter what time of day or night it is, the streets will be FULL with people and there will be traffic jams, cars honking, and it will be impossible to cross the street. This is a real 24-hour city and I imagine it is the same across India. We thought that it is no wonder that India is a centre of yoga and meditation. People need to deliberately go somewhere quiet because it DOES NOT EXIST in everyday life. I think what will strike me the most when I go home is the emptiness of the streets on weekends and at night.

For lunch, we walked to Pizza Hut (yeah, yeah), which has both North American and Indian menus. In the interest of preserving happy tummies at least until tomorrow, we had garlic bread with cheese and a Veggie Lovers' pizza. You know when you go to the States and you NEVER order something 'for two' because it actually means 'for six'? Well here, it's the opposite. The medium pizza for two was a dainty size, which was perfect for lunch and we were able to also have a warm chocolate cake and ice cream.

After lunch we looked in a few shops, including a children's store, Crossword (a bookstore), and a mini department store. No matter where you go, there are tonnes of people waiting to serve you. It must be disconcerting for someone from India to come to Canada and go to The Bay or Canadian Tire and try to find someone who will help them. There are also security guards at the door and on each floor.

The afternoon was spent diligently trying to clean up and reorganize the Online test cases. We managed to get through 50 or so cases, so only about 150 left to go. It feels good to actually get this sorted for once.

For dinner, we went to Kobe (our usual lunch place) so that logistically it would be easy to get back to the hotel. Marcelo had a yummy-looking Lamb Shashlik sizzler that had cubes of lamb, rice, green beans, tomato, spinach, onions, pineapple, green pepper, and french fries in it. I wimped out again and had grilled chicken and fries with a side of garlic bread. I think I'm going to get scurvy soon.

Pradeep had us back to the hotel in no time. Once I got to my room, I realized that my toothpaste is missing. I always leave it on my bathroom counter next to my toothbrush and floss. Nothing else seems to be missing. My iPod, pashminas, webcam (actually Katherine's -- thanks Katherine, it works well!), clothes, shoes, and other toiletries are still here. Just my toothpaste is missing. I have extra with me, so it's no big deal, but it seems really strange.

Well, I will leave you all with that mystery. I'm going to bring my laptop to Goa so hopefully I can get online and publish from there. If not, I'll have a super long entry with lots of pictures when I get back on Sunday. Goodnight everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home