I can't believe I'm going to India

So excited, so excited, so excited!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Missing India already

I had a dream last night that I was back at home and the trip was far in the past and I really missed India. I think I was a passenger in a car and I was thinking that it's so quiet (no honking, weaving, cows, dogs, carts, bicycles, motorcycles). I've really fallen in love with the place. Speaking of dreams, during my pre-dinner nap yesterday, I dreamt that Marcelo got tackled by Alicia Silverstone in a restaurant and I didn't try to help him. He was holding my camera at the time and I just knelt down, took my camera, and let her have at him. I'm not a good friend. I told this to Marcelo at dinner last night and this morning he told me that he dreamt that he got attacked by Molly Ringwald (as she looked in Pretty in Pink; not now).

Today was a beautiful, sunny day in Pune. Marcelo, unfortunately, has caught a cold. I feel like I might be getting it to, so I'm scarfing down vitamin C and echinacea -- I need to be healthy for the weekend. The hotel is much more crowded now with new 'howaito-san'. November/December is supposed to be conference season in Pune.

Are you all tired of hearing about everything that we eat? Breakfast is getting repetitive, I know. I'll put the picture in, but there was nothing that we haven't had before. Again, I'm so spoiled (ho -hum, Indian breakfast with 10 different items -- same old, same old).

I think that the SSS guys are getting saturated with information. I've been talking for about 2 weeks now, and I think we've reached critical mass. Tomorrow, we're going to quickly finish everything that is left (tickets, funds, utilities) and then I'll kick them out of the nest. They're anxious to start working, I think. A new resource is starting next week, but Marcelo thinks they should transfer the knowledge between themselves rather than me talking to this poor guy by himself for 2 weeks.


This has nothing to do with anything, but I noticed today that the security guards (one per floor) will stand up from their desks as we walk by them up the stairs. Again, it makes me feel like royalty. We' not worthy.

For lunch today, we went back to Sarjaa. I've thought about it, and this place that the best Indian food we've had so far. The naan is almost too hot to handle and is dripping with butter. I noticed today that my tummy has gotten noticeably bigger. Maybe we'll start skipping the butter...hmmmn...I think about it. We had our first aloo gobi of the trip. It was awesome -- large wedges of potato with cauliflower in a medium spicy sauce. Everything is good at this place.

In the afternoon, we had a meeting with one of SSS's automation experts and he talked in general terms about how they will approach automating our testing since the application is so configurable. It was so warm in there and I'm perpetually exhausted, so it was all I could do to stay awake, or at least appear awake. I kept drinking water, pulling my hair, digging my nails into my arm. I think I pulled it off, but I'm not sure.

Earlier on in the day, we noticed 3 young, slightly geeky, white guys and assumed that they were in software too. I met one of them in the elevator. Wesley is from South Africa, but he is working for MSN in Dublin with his two colleagues, Eamon and Peter. They are staying until Dec 15th just like us. At dinner tonight we ran into them again, so we had a drink and chatted. Wesley, Eamon, and Peter don't really like Indian food, so they don't heart India like we do. It doesn't sound like they are having a very good time. In describing life in India so far, Eamon kept saying, "Jesus F***ing Christ." With the Irish accent, it sounded pretty funny (that's funny ha ha).

For dinner, the maitre d' chose prawns with butter, lemon, and garlic for me. It was like having 4 lobster tails, but slightly smaller. I'd never had a prawn in my life. It was very much like lobster and it had these long, dainty legs draped everywhere. I'm so full.

On a completely unrelated topic, Darcy and I got our pictures back from the Toronto Half Marathon. There were photographers at the finish line who took at least one picture of every finisher and you could order them if you liked. We did because, hey, it was our first half marathon. Darcy gave me permission to post his picture. They are too big to insert, so please see today's photo album here.

Well, I'm slightly drunk and ready to drop. Goodnight all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home