I can't believe I'm going to India

So excited, so excited, so excited!

Friday, November 17, 2006


Less than 24 hours until take-off

For everyone whom I haven't already exhausted with this story, yes, I am going to India! Can you believe it? My company, AudienceView Software, is employing some analysts in Pune to help with quality assurance and they're sending me to train them on our software application. I only found out about this trip 11 days ago, so the past week has been a whirlwind of getting a visa (big, sweaty ordeal), vaccinations, prescriptions, supplies, and madly researching places to see.

We're taking off tomorrow at 5:10PM and I still haven't packed. I think I have everything I need -- I just need to cram it into my suitcase. We're flying first to Frankfurt, hanging out for 4 1/2 hours, and then continuing on to Mumbai. We stay for one night at the
Orchid Hotel (pretty swank!) and then take a puddlejumper the next day to Pune where we will check in for 28 nights (sounds like rehab) at the Best Western Pride Hotel (also supposed to be pretty swank despite being a Best Western).

I've never been to India before, so I may have gone overboard with the precautions (vaccinations, malaria pills, antibiotics, Imodium, charcoal pills, Gravol, mosquito net, etc.). I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around 35 degrees Celsius in November (should I bring jeans?).

Have a great month everyone and I'll see you in December. I promise to try to post often and upload my pictures. Namaste!

3 Comments:

  • At Nov 18, 2006, 6:04:00 AM, Blogger Ashley said…

    Hi! I found your blog by hitting the "next blog" button. I have been to India (2004) and I am going back next week (strange coincidence!)

    I went overboard with all of that stuff last time, too. The best advice I have is to take it all in. It's a fascinating place.

    Do spray yourself with insect repellant (with DEET) every day and wear long sleeves and long pants every day (despite the heat). I did this and never got bit by a mosquito (and they are EVERYWHERE).

    Do carry a bandana with you everywhere. There is no such thing as a paper towel in India. I wore a shawl that was both flattering and useful.

    If it's not too late, pack light. The hotels have EXCELLENT laundry service (and cheap!). You only need half of what you packed.

    I didn't go to Pune, so I cannot comment. Mumbai is great fun. Touring Rajasthan and of course, the Taj Mahal in Agra is excellent.

    Have fun!

     
  • At Nov 18, 2006, 9:38:00 AM, Blogger Kaori said…

    Hi Ashley! Thanks so much for the advice. It's now 10:51PM my time and I'm almost done packing. I eliminated a lot because I've been told to dress modestly and I realized I have a lot of v-necks that probably wouldn't fly. So, I think I'm packed pretty lightly.

    I'm quite the bug magnet, so I'll be sure to put my DEET on faithfully.

    I definitely want to make it to the Taj Mahal even though it's a bit far from where we're staying. I'll be working Monday-Friday, but we'll have 4 weekends to play -- can't wait!

    I hope you have a wonderful trip too.

     
  • At Nov 21, 2006, 2:22:00 AM, Blogger Kaori said…

    Thanks Eggy! Great to hear from you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home